Date Event
Ice Age Morainic rocks deposited at Huelgoat and other nearby sites
Prehistory As the ice retreated northwards centre of Brittany was densely wooded and became sparsely inhabited. Near Croix Rouge, Scrignac, recent investigations have found signs of several carved flints 500 metres west of Croix Rouge a 2.85 metre menhir was found in 1897 in Parc-ar-Peulven. Near Kerensaux 23 axes were found. At Creac’h –Niver pottery fragments and a polished axe were found. There was certainly another menhir at Goarem-ar-Men-Son-Braz, but unfortunately all these traces have now disappeared.
Bronze Age From the bronze age several remains have been found at Scrignac. There was a 30m diameter tumulus at Lannouedic, and at Kermarguon a 40m diameter tumulus, near Parc-an-Dossen. In 1955 two tombs were found at Quillourou; in one there was a vase. An axe was found at Kerseac’h.
Iron Age An Iron Age tunnel was found between Menez-Braz and Menez-Kersers, containing contemporary money.
1st Century BC The Ossimi tribe inhabited the area. Sir Mortimer Wheeler made extensive excavations at Huelgoat in 1938 where in the first century BC the Camp d’Arthus, a large fortified settlement with some remaining earth ramparts was built. The ramparts remain. He also visited Scrignac the same year and made notes on local moated feudal settlements.
At Scrignac several rectangular compounds existed. One at Kerbrat and another near the ruins of the former Chapel of Saint Nicolas. A third existed at Roc’h-oudern which was about 65 metres long. Mortimer Wheeler located another south of the Chapel at Coat-Keo, being sub rectangular, 65 metres x 45 metres and 3 metre high banks and only one entry from the east.
BC 56 The Romans under Julius Caesar invade Gaul ; Carhaix (Vorgium) was the principal local Roman town.
Roman Period Gold and silver is mined at Huelgoat.
AD 350 Christianity arrives in Brittany .
380 British legionnaires are posted to Brittany , bringing with them, it is said, the elements of Celtic language that evolved into Breton, closely related to Welsh.
Approx 6th/7th Century Wave of immigration by Britons from Cornwall , Wales , and Ireland . Evidence of local arrival includes the hamlet Kersaux near Scrignac. Kersaux means “place of the English”.
11th Century A mediaeval moat existed at Guernaon near Pont Truel on the limit of Scrignac towards Carhaix. It still exists and measures 65 metres long, with a bank and a ditch, and only one entrance, again from the east. Traces of metal working have been found on the site. On the opposite bank is the moat of Rospellem in Carnoet, both dominating the river crossing. Vestiges of fortifications in earth banks remain but the previous timber upper works are all gone. Another such moat exists between Coat Keo and Trinivel.
12th Century Several written versions of the Celtic legend of Tristan and Isolde appear; the legend says that Tristan was passing through the countryside and came to Carhaix where he found Isolde living in the castle and he fell in love with her. The legend was heavily romanticised in the 19th century and became the source for one of Wagner’s best known operas.
1197 Battle of Carnoet sometimes known as Tossen Saint Veltas or St Guildas
Between King Richard I of England , known as Coeur de Lion, and the barons of Brittany , resulting in the defeat of the English (many of them were in fact, like King Richard, of Norman stock) his flight and the French alleged death of 8000 English soldiers. There is little if any corroboration of a defeat of this size in English textbooks.
1318 A parish church existed in Scrignac by this date.
1342 Brest surrendered to the English and remained in their hands until 1397.
1375 Old Roscoff destroyed by the Earl of Arundel.
28 May 1387 Violent earthquake in Brittany .
1388 A papal bull mentions the restoration of a chapel at Scrignac
Middle Ages Date of the croix at Kerennou-Huella.
1407 Exceptionally cold winter.
XVe Date of the croix at Kerseac’h.
XVe Date of foundation of the chapel at Trinivel, under the control of the abbey at Relec; there is also a croix of the XVe century.
Late XVe Date of the bell tower of Scrignac church, dedicated to Sant Per or St Pierre , the oldest surviving fragment of the original building.
1522 The English invade and sack Morlaix; they are defeated the next day.
1529 A severe winter causes misery and decimates the population
1532 France absorbs the Duchy of Brittany.
1536 A severe drought lasts from Spring to December
1540 Summer stated in February and finishes in October. Grapes were ripe by July.
1548 Mary Queen of Scots is exiled to France landing in Roscoff
1585 The Seigneuries of Kerbrat-Helles and Chateau Montafilant of Scrignac were owned by the Bishop of Quimper , Francois de la Tour.
XVIe Date of the croix (Croas ar Hure) at Quilivel
XVIe Date of the croix at Quillournou
XVIe Date of the chapel of St Corentin at Toul ar Groaz
XVIe Date of the chapel of St Hernin at Quefforc’h
1608 Severe winter
1656 Another severe winter.
1669 Date of the oldest croix at Coat Keo.
1675 Revolt of Bonnets Rouges or the Revolt of “Papier Timbre” a loathed tax; the manors of Kerbrat, Kergral and Kerizec at Scrignac were destroyed by arson.
1697 The Cistercian monks of La Feuillee owned the hamlets of Lannouedic, Kertanguy and Le Quilliou at Scrignac.
1765 A hurricane destroys many trees.
December 1765 A severe winter.
1789 The French Revolution commences.
1789-1793 La Guerre de Vendee.
Counter revolutionary Chouans from Brittany resist the revolution.
1790 The Breton parliament at Rennes is abolished
1791 The revolutionaries hunt the aristocrats and take possession of their houses and lands. The Bishop of Leon escaped to England .
1792 Year I of the Revolutionary Calendar.
October 1792 A Scrignac resident was guillotined during the Terror at Carhaix. It is known that the guillotine arrived in the town that month but it’s not known if those executed were the actual mutineers from Scrignac.
1793 Population of Scrignac 2016.
1794 Cambry, who wrote a report on Finistere, recorded that there were fewer sheep in the Poher owing to the problem of wolves. In Brittany in1840 there were 1,074,000 sheep over 976,000 hectares which fell to 166,000 by 1929. There were various attacks by wolves reported in 1777, 1801, 1811 and 1888.
Ann VII As required under a revolutionary law the whole Scrignac commune met to take part in a revolutionary ceremony when L’Hymne a la Patrie was sung and Vive la Republique was chanted several times. The population was required to declare hatred of the monarchy.
Ann VIII Armed robbery at Scrignac and a conviction for failing to register a birth.
1800 Theophile Malo Corret de la Tour d’Auvergne, son of Carhaix, born 1743 dies. « The bravest of the brave » soldier, who had been a prisoner of the English in 1794, is buried in Les Invalides.
Ann XI Robbery with violence at Scrignac.
1803 The Nantes to Brest canal was designed.
1811 The Nantes to Brest canal construction was started.
1816 Date of the croix at Fos Vern, Scrignac.
1818 Yves Quelen, Scrignac resident, transported.
1826 Francois le Foll, Scrignac resident, transported.
1828 Guillaume le Lann, Scrignac resident, transported.
1830 Scrignac lime kiln opens near the road to Croix Rouge.
1834 Notaire accused of forgery at Scrignac.
1836 First plan cadastral of Scrignac. It showed a cross in the middle of
la place de l’Eglise, now place des trois Coant.
1836 There was a murder at Scrignac.
1837 There were 2597 hectares of agricultural land at Scrignac.
1847 Thefts at Scrignac.
1849 There was a murder at Scrignac.
1858 The canal Nantes to Brest was completed at 364km long.
1866 Scrignac church modernised and rebuilt.
1866 Census at Scrignac. The population was 3104 of which 221 lived in the bourg, and 2883 in the countryside. The age breakdown is:
Under 20 1359
20/40 989
41/60 565
61/70 163
71/80 26
80+ 2
There were 579 houses, of which only 25 had a first floor. 305 houses had thatched roofs.
200 adults knew how to read; 97 knew how to read and write
Not many children went to school; many children started work at 10-12.
Agricultural production concentrated on hemp and linen. There were 14 houses where weaving took place, and 14 tailors. There were 5 blacksmiths, 4 saddlers, and 7 clog makers. There was only one boulangerie. There were 12 mills and one notaire.
Poverty was considerable; 80 people lived by begging and 192 people were retired or living off rents.
There were 361 working farms supporting 2526 people.
There were 689 horses, 508 sheep and goats, 376 pigs and 3507 cattle. There were 268 bulls and it’s possible that some were used for tilling the rocky ground. There were 760 bee hives.
Family size was large. 97 families had two children, 79 3 children, 59 4 children and 164 5+.
The number of inhabitants at some hamlets was large; at Pors Jaffrenou 7 families 38 inhabitants, Ty Jaffre 7 families 40 inhabitants, Kerloc’h 17 families 82 inhabitants, Trinivel 14 families 84 inhabitants and Quefforc’h 18 families with 102 inhabitants.
1867 Theft of two metres of material took place at Scrignac.
1869 Hunting crimes are recorded at Scrignac. There were many such crimes in the area that year.
1870 In Scrignac 71 children less than one year old died, and 48 between 1 and 4. There were five burials on one day. In a nine month period there were 294 deaths of which 197 were children.
1870/71 France invaded by Prussia . A Compagnie de Scrignac is raised to join many other Bretons and French, and marches to Conlie near Le Mans to join an army raised to counter attack the Prussians. The army is very badly equipped and many men have no weapons. Indecision and disease prevail and many lives are lost through disease and malnutrition.
1871 Thoz, a republican, was elected as Maire at Scrignac. Conflicts between the Church and State accelerated.
1872 60% of heads of householders in Scrignac were farmers.
1880 The Mairie sold the trees from the cemeteries at the Bourg and Coat Keo, Scrignac, against the wishes of the Church.
1886 The number of two storey houses in Scrignac had increased to 68.
1892 Paul Serusier artist and collaborator of Gaugin lives at Huelgoat until 1894 and paints many local subjects.
1890 A wild boar killed Mr Robinson an English expatriate near Huelgoat. A street bears his name.
1891 The last known wolf in Brittany dies at Cloitre St Thegonnec.
1891 Le petit train from Morlaix to Carhaix ran for the first time, although it was officially opened by French President Faure in 1897.
1896 A butcher named Floc’h from Huelgoat murdered the Scrignac farmer Huguen by stabbing after a dispute involving the price of a veal calf. Floc’h also tried to kill Huguen’s son. The whole incident was reported in the Patit Parisien of 5 September.
1900 Population of Scrignac approximately 3000.
18 January 1902 Straw fire at Lannouedic, Scrignac, caused by two children.
1906 Socialists win 75.5% of the votes at Scrignac.
1910 The mairie increased the rent of the Presbytere of Scrignac by 50%. The Bishop of Quimper ordered that the priest be withdrawn from the parish and that no bells would be rung. The argument was resolved in March.
1/3 August 1914 The Great War starts.
1921 Population of Scrignac peaks at 3511.
17/18 September 1921 Festival Breton de Huelgoat organised by Taldir Jaffrennou of Carnoet whose family originated from Scrignac. There were 10000 visitors over two days with numerous events, banquets, competitions etc. Visitors included many notables including Marechal Foch. Amongst the competitions Paul de Kerseac’h from Scrignac won the 18-20 years category and Floc’h from Trinivel won the senior title. Jaffrenou was an ardent Breton separatist and anti-semite.
1926 Important repairs to Scrignac church.
1926 An ancient chapel in Scrignac was purchased and removed stone by stone to be re-erected at Scaer where it remains.
1928 Death of Theodore Le Hars, Senator and Mayor of Quimper following an accident in Scrignac at Kervoazou; there is a croix at the spot.
1928 Restoration of the Four a Chaux (lime kiln) at Scrignac.
1930 Abbe Perrot is appointed as priest at Scrignac. The Bishop of Quimper regarded him as a hothead nationalist and knew that at Scrignac he would be far away and in a village with strong left attitudes.
1931 Date of the croix at Toul ar Groaz, Scrignac.
1930s Yves Menez from Scrignac leads the Ideal Jazz band on the accordion, and is well known across France . His wife is the Scrignac hairdresser.
1932 The chapel at Coat Keo, Scrignac was put up for sale by the Marie. It was bought by Abbe Perrot.
1932 The proceeds from the sale of another chapel were used to build the school at Quenequen, Scrignac.
1935 Abbe Perrot visited Wales to meet Welsh nationalists.
1937 The chapel at Coat Keo, Scrignac, is restored by architect James Bouille under the patronage of Abbe Perrot.
1938 Death of Scrignac born Louis Goaziou at Charleroi , Pennsylvania , USA ; he was an anarchist, later socialist and trades union leader.
1938 A weekend day trip from Scrignac to the sea side at Roscoff cost 16 francs, with children half price.
1938 Death of Scrignac born Theo Kervoelen fighting in the Spanish Civil War as a Republican
1 September1939 The Second World War starts.
1941 Germany starts building their largest French complex of submarine pens at Lorient with up to 15000 workers many being forced. Construction continued until the end of the war. The pens successfully resisted persistent allied bombing and are still visible today. (Open to the public) The bombing of Lorient was so heavy that the city was destroyed and had to be evacuated. The pens at Brest no longer exist; they were more successfully bombed by the RAF using “earthquake bombs”.
Later Clare Francis, who married a Breton, wrote a novel about the resistance based in the same area.
Williams was awarded various decorations for valour and the Legion d’Honneur. He died aged 91 in 1994 at East Grinstead , Sussex having been a farmer and politician.
6 June 1944 D Day invasion by Allied forces in Normandy . The attack develops with the Americans on the right flank and British and Commonweath forces on the left flank. After taking Avranches and following stiff German resistance the Americans headed south and west. The British encircled Caen . Resistance uprising behind the German lines attacking principally supply lines including railways.
8 July 1944 Death of Scrignac born Jean-Marie Colloret, naval officer on board the Free French submarine La Perle between Newfoundland and Greenland.
29 July 1944 The RAF bomb Scrignac, damaging the church and school, but kill by mistake 23 civilians, including one family of seven refugees, and only 2 of the German garrison based in the Couvent Ker Anna, Rue de Collonec. Rumours abound regarding double agents. The church including its stained glass is repaired after the war, and the date of the bombing is reproduced in the eastern window.
4/5 August 1944 Liberation of Scrignac by troops of the General Patton’s American Third Army and Armoured Corps advancing from Carhaix in their drive to take Brest and its deep water harbour. Some of the retreating Germans were isolated in a pocket near Brasparts and they were liberated by a daring sortie by Panzers.
5 August 1944 88 members of the British 3rd Parachute Regiment land east of Morlaix in Operation Code Name Derry to secure the railway lines and the viaduct.
16 August 1944 La Compagnie de Scrignac-Berrien des Resistants are in combat near Irvillac. Second Lieutenant Le Foll of Scrignac wrote a report on the war of attrition on the German army retreating to the Brest stronghold. Amongst those killed were the officer commanding, Plassart and Yves Begat with Job Goasdue all from Berrien.
8 May 1945 The second world war ends in Europe . Scrignac lost many combatants and non combatants.
10 May 1945 The German garrison defending Lorient finally surrendered.
1946 There were ten communist cells in Scrignac; more than in Morlaix.
1947 Visit of Plaid Cymru from Wales to Brittany to investigate alleged atrocities committed against Breton nationalists in reprisals.
1950 Date of the stone croix in memory of Abbe Perrot at Coat Keo, and a wooden cross at Lannuzon where he was killed. Every Easter Monday a ceremony is held in his memory.
1952 Brittany championship of Lutte Breton (Breton wrestling) held at Scrignac.
1956 There was an attempt to restore the Scrignac lime kiln again
1957 Finistere politician Marc Becam campaigned for agricultural modernisation but found some of the farmers of Scrignac hostile.
1960s The Carhaix to Morlaix railway closed. It later becomes a route for walkers, riders etc and is now included in the Santiago de Compestella pilgrim route from Roscoff. It passes through Scrignac Gare.
1962 Construction of Brennilis nuclear power station commences.
1962 Population of Scrignac 1948.
1965 Death of General Maxime Weygand. Illegitimate son of either Empress Charlotte of Mexico or Leopold II King of the Belgians, Weygand became a senior general in the French Army heavily involved in the war at the time other fall of France . He later became entangled with the Vichy regime. He retired to a Chateau on the outskirts of Morlaix where he is buried in the cemetery, following the refusal of President de Gaulle to allow him to be buried in Les Invalides at Paris .
1970 There were 4459 hectares of agricultural land at Scrignac.
Early 1970s There was a world shortage of copper partly driven by concerns about the effects African de-colonisation. Trial excavations were made at Scrignac but the halving of the price of copper in 1975 and high cost of recovery made the project unviable.
1970s on British purchasers start buying houses in the centre of Brittany including Scrignac. Initially these are principally holiday houses and the area became more attractive after the opening of the ferry linking Roscoff and Plymouth starting in 1972. Brittany Ferries was started as a co-operative of farmers wanting to extend their market in the UK , building on the earlier success of the “Johnnies”, itinerant onion sellers from Roscoff who used to sell their onions off bicycles in the UK . By 2009 there are approximately 140 British owned houses in the commune of Scrignac.
1975 Brennilis nuclear power station is bombed by the FLB.
1975 Population of Scrignac 1450.
1976 A bomb destroys war memorial in Scrignac; later re-erected in new format and position, now in Breton as well as the original French only.
1977 Brittany championship of Lutte Breton (Breton wrestling) held at Scrignac
1977 Michel Lang directs his film Hotel de la Plage at Locquirec.
1978 Roman Polanski directs his film Tess of the D’Urbevilles at Locronan.
1980 Establishment of the Parc Regional d’Armorique.
1982 30% of heads of householders in Scrignac were farmers.
1982 The wooden cross near Croix Rouge raised in memoriam of Abbe Perrot is cut down by unknown objectors to his memory, and is later re-erected.
1988 Inter-celtic championship of Lutte Breton held at Scrignac. The BBC recorded a TV programme.
1985 Production ceases at Brennilis nuclear power station.
1991 The Mairie bought the former convent Ker Anna, Scrignac. After about ten years it was sold to a British developer, who later started building houses in the grounds.
1992 The Vieilles Charrues pop festival is founded at Carhaix. By 2009 it had grown to a major festival attracting 230,000 visitors over four days.
2006 Population of Scrignac 825, the lowest for over 200 years.
2010 An exceptionally cold winter.
2010 The commerces remaining in Scrignac include an epicerie, a bar, a restaurant, a café/restaurant, a pharmacie, an agricultural co- operative, a post office and a doctor. The butcher’s closes temporarily to be bought by the commune and a boulangerie is set to open.
10 September 2010 Two Scrignac ladies and another are drowned whilst cockelling at Locquirec
10 November 2010 A young English visitor is killed in a road accident at Scrignac.
2011 Another very cold winter, with snow and ice starting in November.
February 2011 The financial viability of the Poste is under threat and opening reduced to twice weekly.
Summer 2011 The boulangerie opens and the boucherie reopens.
January 2012 The population is 808.